|Source||Proprietary Closed Source|
|Help|| Simulia Learning Community|
The Abaqus FEA is a software suite for finite element analysis and computer-aided engineering, originally released in 1978 .
Unlike other modules, Abaqus FEA has been directly integrated with SLURM and one uses an
abq* command instead of using
To use Abaqus 2017 on the cluster you will need first load the abaqus/2017 module using this command:
module avail abaqus module load abaqus/2017
If you need to use FORTRAN subroutine with your simulation, load FORTRAN compiler as well:
module avail intelics module load intelics/2015.3
Auto-load on log-in
If you wish Abaqus 2017 and FORTRAN modulus to be loaded every time you log in:
module initadd abaqus/2017 module initadd intelics/2015.3
You can undo this by removing those lines from your
Abaqus jobs are managed by SLURM. To submit a job to Abaqus, transfer your model input file to the cluster and run this command:
abq2017 job=FILE que=general:fslocal
- Is the command (case sensitive) to invoke Abaqus 2017.
- The name of your input (.inp) file without the file extension.
- Runs the Abaqus simulation on a local file system using the general partition (you can use any of the partitions from
sinfo -o %P)
- The simulation will run on another compute node and copy the result files upon completion.
- To run ABAQUS in a shared file system, use
Adding a user subroutine
If a user subroutine is adopted in the Abaqus model, run the command with "user" option.
abq2017 job=job-1 user=CODE.f que=general:fslocal
- Is the file name of the user subroutine written in FORTRAN.
CPU parallel analysis
If parallel computing is needed, run the command with "cpus" option.
abq2017 job=file cpus=5 que=general:fslocal
- Will request five CPUs to run the job. More CPUs will require more Abaqus license tokens to run.
Unexpected end of file error
When submitting an abaqus job, you will see:
sh: -c: line 0: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"' sh: -c: line 1: syntax error: unexpected end of file Submitted batch job 12345
These sh warnings are harmless, and you can ignore them.
Checking job status
Run this command:
tail -f FILE.sta
- Is the name of the status file.
- If you are running your job in a local file system, then you have to change the directory the specific folder and specific node to check the status of your job.
- Normally when the simulation is finished, the HPC will send you an email showing the simulation is completed successfully or exited with error.
Terminating an Abaqus Analysis
If an analysis job needs to be terminated before completion, find the Job ID with this command.
which will list all the jobs are running. Then run this command to kill a specific job.
- Is the SLURM ID number of the job you want to kill.
As an extra note, if you would like your Abaqus jobs to email you or for job status tracking, a normal Slurm bash script can be made to call the Abaqus commands as well.
Here is an example
#!/bin/bash #SBATCH -p general # Name of partition #SBATCH -n 1 # submit using 1 core #SBATCH -N 1 # submit using 1 node #SBATCH --firstname.lastname@example.org # Destination email address #SBATCH --mail-type=ALL # Event(s) that triggers email notification (BEGIN,END,FAIL,ALL) module load abaqus/2017 abq2017 job=jobnamehere input=./yourinputfile.inp cpus=1 que=general:fslocal
At this time, the Abaqus script and subroutines written in C++ have not been tested.
To be able to launch the CAE or Viewer for Abaqus 2017, a X session would need to be set up when logging into the cluster. Once a terminal session has been loaded with X enabled (either through X2Go or ssh -X), a fisbatch job would need to be submitted to the cluster.
Example fisbatch command to submit to the general partition:
fisbatch -N 1 -n 24 -p general
Once the job has been submitted and a node has been allocated, the abaqus/2017 module would need to be loaded.
module load abaqus/2017
After the abaqus/2017 module has been loaded in the fisbatch session, the GUI can be launched by using either of the following commands:
abq2017cae cae -mesa
abq2017cae viewer -mesa
Abaqus License Info
|License Type||Tokens of Abaqus||Tokens of Abaqus Viewer(cae -mesa)||License Server|
|row 1, cell 1||row 1, cell 2||row 1, cell 3|
|row 2, cell 1||row 2, cell 2||row 2, cell 3|